Thursday, February 21, 2008

Mobility

I've never owned a car. I drove my dad's Jeep Cherokee while he was at work and my brother's Honda Civic while he was a freshman at JMU. But other than that, I've never been guranteed a ride anywhere, and it has been pretty frustrating. I just want to have the power to be able to go where I want whevever I want. But this is such a selfish midset. I've never thought in depth about the ecological issues at hand. But the more I overcrowding and subsequent pollution caused by poorly-made vehicles, the less I care about owning one. If I need to get anywhere, emphasis on NEED, then I'm starting to ride my bike. I'm even going to try to ride the public transit for the first time this Sunday. I think it's a little irresponsible on my part to keep asking my friends for rides when the city offers cheap (about $1.50 per ride) trasport for multiple people. I ask that everyone be at least curious about their situation if they have the privilege. People like my good friends Ben Jackson and Conrad Wineland are in different countries where there isn't even nearly an organized of a system of transport for the residents. If anything, at least be curious about what alternatives your area offers.

Also-

Did you know that if every household changed its five most-used lightbulbs to compact fluorescent light bulbs, the country coul take twenty-one coal-fired power plants off-line tomorrow. This would keep one trillion pounds of poisonous gases and soot out of the air we breathe and send to the countries around us. This would also have the same beneficial impact of taking eight million cars off the roads.

No comments: